The History Of
The History Of Giannitsa
The city of Giannitsa is on the Egnatia Road
(Via Egnatia) The ancient Via
Egnatia was the extension into Greece of the Via Appia which linked Rome to
and is next to drained lake of Giannitsa.
In the resent years was built by the
Ottomans in 1380. The name means "New City" But the linguist George Hatzidakis
concluded that the name is derived by the Greek language from the name Giannis.
Resent findings show that the area of Giannitsa was inhibited from the 7th
century A. D during the Bronze and Iron era. There were discoveries of ancient
buildings in the villages of Pentaplatano and Arhontiko.
During the Byzantine era and on Egnatia Road in the middle of Giannitsa were
discovered many old homes, and the area possibly was called Vardari.
Giannitsa were Holly City to the Moslems because the Turkish general Hatzi
Ebrenos and his descendants were buried there. The city in the 19th Century was
occupied by 7,500 Moslems
and 5,600 Christians.
During 1904 - 1908 the lake of Giannitsa was the stage in the Greek and
The city was liberated by the Greek forces on October 20, 1912, during the first
after a two day fierce fight with ottoman forces.
During the 1922 Giannitsa received many immigrants that came from Turkey during
the population exchange thus sparked an economic growth in the area.
During the German occupation many resident joint the resistance against Germany.
On September 14, 1944, the Germans killed 120 resident and burned most of the
city in retaliation. The city was liberated from the Germans October 18, 1944.
The population of Giannitsa is 40,000 people.
PELLA THE CAPITAL OF MACEDONIA 2500 YEARS OF
Transferring the capital of the kingdom from
Aegae to Pella in around 400 B. C., King Archelaus made it the greatest of all
Macedonian cities. Grandiosity characterized the whole structure of the city.
The palace complex alone, situated on the hill dominating the city, occupied
60.000 sq. meters.
For 250 years Pella was the cultural center of
the Greek world and a pole of attraction for famous artists of the age (Zeuxis.
Apelles, Lysippos, Leocharis), It experienced its greatest prosperity during the
reign of Alexander the Great, when it came to be called "Metropolis of the
Macedonians - Homeland of Philip and Alexander". Thanks to archaeological
excavations, luxurious private houses with the famous mosaic floors were
uncovered. as well as sanctuaries. an agora covering an area of 70.000 sq. m.,
cemeteries and finds which visitors may now view in the local museum.
Back To Index